Audition – Workshop
The Circular Ruins
29th May, from 17,00 to 21,00
30th May and 31st May, from 18,00 to 22,00
The Circular Ruins is a new MISERO PROSPERO Project production for 2017-2018.
It is based and inspired in a short story written by Jorge Luis Borges.
We are planning a research through contemporary dance & physical theatre languages in order to achieve a powerful proposal not text-based, although word might come up during the performance. We will build the show in at least three phases, starting with the creation of a solo and a duo scenes no longer than 9 minutes each one. All practical issues will be discussed after the workshop with the selected dancer[s].
We are looking for one [two] female dancer[s] with the following skills:
- strong contemporary dance technique
- initiative and creativity
- theatrical knowledge or experience [or special intuition for acting]
- choreographical skills
The workshops and [main] rehearsals will be in English and Hungarian.
For the first phase, availability in June.
Structure of the Workshop
The workshop will be developed in three sessions.
- Monday 29th May from 17,00 to 21,00. General exercises, Warming-up, Theatre Training, Imagework, Poetics of the Object.
- Tuesday 30th May from 18,00 to 22,00. Improvisation Skills, Choreographical Exercise. First round of Presentations.
- Wednesday 31st May from 18,00 to 22,00. Second round of Presentations.
NOTE: Sessions will start punctually, so it is recommended to come a bit earlier to change clothing, and the participants will have 20 minutes for their own and personal warming-up. The end of the sessions may be extended if necessary, especially the third session. All sessions will end with an evaluation discussion. During the sessions, some exercises and all the presentation will be video recorded.
Tasks to prepare
The participants should prepare for the workshop the following tasks: [that will be presented during the second and the third session]
- RITUAL. Prepare the ceremony of a ritual. A ritual is a sequence of activities involving gestures, words, and objects, performed in a sequestered place, and performed according to set sequence. Rituals may be prescribed by the traditions of a community, including, but not only, a religious community. Rituals are characterised but not defined by formalism, traditionalism, invariance, rule-governance, sacral symbolism, and performance.Rituals are a feature of all known human societies. They include not only the worship rites and sacraments of organised religions and cults, but also rites of passage, atonement and purification rites, oaths of allegiance, dedication ceremonies, coronations and inaugurations. Many activities that are ostensibly performed for concrete purposes are loaded with purely symbolic actions prescribed by regulations or tradition, and thus partly ritualistic in nature. Even common actions may be termed rituals. You can choose the content [what is your ritual for], objects, words, music and use them as you need. Máximum time: 4 minutes.
- TRANSGRESSION. Use the music Graduale [Requiem aeternam] – In memoria aeterna, to prepare a dance-movement improvisation with the aim of creating something as far as possible from that music, so your proposal will work against the meaning, feeling or atmosphere of the music to become something completely different. Máximun time: the length of the music. [You can use part of it as well, so if you edit the track, you should bring it in a CD.]
- TEXT. Prepare the text, read it, and chose some word[s] or sentence[s]. Then memorise them. During the second session, the trainer will suggest you a task, where you will have to use it.
- CHOREOGRAPHY. Prepare a short choreography with the piece The Circular Ruins [Audition], and the Image One. You can choose ONE of these titles: NEVER BORN, CHAOS or CIRCULAR RUINS. During the second session, the trainer will assign you one of your workshop mates to work with and prepare that choreography. The work with silence will be valued. Maximum time: 3 minutes.
NOTE: Those are, as we call them, consignas. A consigna is a start-up instruction, it is not an arrival point, but the tool for a taking off. The result has no limits, so it us up to you. And you should solve all the information which is not in those consignas.
You can download the materials here:
You can check the materials here:
Graduale [Requiem aeternam] – In memoria aeterna
The Circular Ruins [Audition]
Links to The Circular Ruins, a short story by Jorge Luis Borges
Any question or doubt, please CONTACT US though our email address.SUBSCRIBE